Pedestrian accident injuries can be some of the most serious injuries. In a typical car accident involving two motor vehicles, both parties have protection of large vehicles. However, when a car hits a pedestrian, the force exerted on that person is huge. This force can cause massive injuries. It can also cause a need for serious medical care, tons of medical bills, and even a pedestrian fatality.
As a result of the serious nature of pedestrian accident injuries, insurance companies will often do everything in their power to avoid taking responsibility when their insured is involved in the accident. Insurance companies argue that the pedestrian wasn’t in a designated crosswalk. Insurance companies argue that the pedestrian wasn’t paying attention. Sometimes, they argue that the pedestrian didn’t abide by the traffic signal in place.
In truth, all of these arguments are an insurance company smokescreen. The reality is that when someone is driving a car they must exercise reasonable care not to hit people. Even if a pedestrian fails to abide by traffic laws, a driver must pay attention and maintain reasonable care. Drivers and pedestrians all know this. That is why the safest drivers will lookout for pedestrians, even the ones that aren’t paying attention.
Only an experienced pedestrian accident attorney can get you the compensation you deserve. Knapp Accident & Injury Law can get you fair compensation for your pedestrian accident. We will fight to get you compensation for your medical bills, future medical care, lost wages, future loss of earning capacity, and pain and suffering.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Drivers tend not to hit people with their motor vehicles. However, distracted driving is the most common cause of pedestrian accidents when the pedestrian is clearly visible. This is when a driver is prevented from observing the road and objects in front of them due to some other issue. The most common distractions in distracted driving cases are:
- Cell Phones – Texting while driving has reached crisis levels in the United States. But many distracted drivers have caused accidents when checking email, looking at social media, and playing games on their phones.
- GPS Devices – Many cars today come with built-in GPS systems. While they can be incredibly helpful, taking one’s eyes off of the road in order to input a destination can be very dangerous.
- Other Passengers – Kids in the backseat can distract drivers, as can conversations with other passengers.
- Eating and Drinking – The simple act of eating while driving can cause a driver to remove their eyes from the road for just long enough to hit a pedestrian.
- Putting on Makeup/Brushing Hair – Putting on makeup while driving is incredibly dangerous as it takes one’s eyes off of the road and also often brings an obstruction into the driver’s field of vision.
- The Radio – Changing radio stations might seem like a momentary distraction, but sometimes that is long enough to cause a driver to hit a pedestrian. That is why many vehicles now have the ability to adjust the radio from the steering wheel.
Motor vehicles are very heavy and often take time to stop. Truck accidents often happen for exactly this reason. Therefore, when a driver is distracted and a pedestrian enters the roadway, the risk of stopping in time to avoid a collision becomes incredibly high.
Call Knapp Accident & Injury Law
Few things in this world are scarier than seeing a motor vehicle coming right at you. That fear can cause many personal injury victims to freeze. It is a terrifying proposition. If that has happened to you, Knapp Accident & Injury Law can help.
If you, or someone you know, was hit by a motor vehicle while walking, running, jogging, or biking as a pedestrian, my firm might be able to get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (813) 568-3724. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to give you a free consultation about your pedestrian accident case. Don’t let the insurance company blame you for the negligence of their insured.
Hire an experienced pedestrian accident attorney today.